Monday, April 12, 2010

Bee Nice!
















So on Monday (march 29), I was outside gardening with Ed. He was heading back

to house when I saw him fanning his hands erractly around his head and take off running. I didn't think much of it since he tends to do that when he hears buzzing sounds around his ear. Then as I walked along the path around the same place Ed had been at, I felt a bee dive into my ear hole! I could feel its front legs paddling inside my ear lobe. I had my gardening gloves on, so I tried grabbing its body and flicking it out my ear. As I sigh in releaf of excaping a sting, I look up to see a cloud of bees swarming over my head. Instead of running, I began to scream for Ed! As soon as I did that, several bees landed on my eyes, and several attacked my ears. I continued yelling and swatting them away. Before I knew it, the construction guy (Manuel) and Ed came to help swat them off. Luckily I only got stung on the ear (and not my eyes or mouth). Immediately I decided inform my neighbors (the hive's on there side) that I was going to call a hive removal company. For years the bee colony had bee friendly. I had even purchased a honey box where I would one day place this wild colony into. From what the bee expert said, the colony was probably a good honey bee colony, but then the africanized bees entered, killing the queen and raising their own, and within a matter of months changing the colony entirely! I googled "bee attacks" and apperantly vibrations, loud noise, certain colors can cause bees to attack. The construction with comprosser machines make loud vibrating sounds, and I was wearing red (although Ed was wearing black) another trigger. Whatever the case, the bee guy said we were real lucky. It was so bad when he exterminated them, we had to bring the pony to the front and I had to adive serval nieghbors to go outside. The bees swarmed all the way to the front of our house and even stung Manuel in the eye! Thank goodness they haven't reformed the hive. The bee guy said he will give me some really nice honey bees once I get my bee suit and decide where to put my honey box. The photo of my ear was taken moments after being stung, my ear and half of my face swelled up so bad I had to go to the hospital and get a shot, at least I'm not alergic to them or it could have been worse!

2 comments:

Ms. Wendy said...

OMg liz!!! Your a super trooper!! you know I would had started crying and screaming and definetly running around like a crazy maniac

blasfamily@blogspot.com said...

Liz,
I was reading your post while my students were taking a test. I gasped out loud, and they all looked at me. I had to tell them about your horrible experience. Thank God you are okay. I would have freaked out had they gone in my ear. The screams would have been heard all the way to Florida. Do you really have a pony???